Let us, the Asia Pacific NGOs, once again accelerate our commitments to this process of social, economic and political changes, already sparked by the Beijing World Conference on Women in 1995. The review of the BPFA is now underway, and NGOs are once again mobilising to make our voices heard at the UN Forum.
From August 31 to September 4, 1999, NGOs from the Asia-Pacific Region will be hosting a three and a half day Regional Symposium on the Beijing Plus Five Review. This Symposium will review the 12 critical areas of the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA) as well as emerging issues not covered in the BPFA that are of importance to the women's movement in this region.
Kasetsart University Kamphaengsaen campus located approximately 80 kms. outside of Bangkok, Thailand will serve as the venue to accommodate between 500 - 700 women and men from the region. The Symposium will be structured to allow space for national and sub-regional presentations, workshops on the BPFA and emerging issues in the region, as well as adoption of key recommendations and cultural activities.
This Symposium sets as our goals to:
- Carry out an extensive information campaign on the BPFA Review Process to reach as many women in the region as possible and to encourage them to participate in the Regional NGO Symposium, especially women from sectors that are marginalised, such as the indigenous, disabled, elderly, youth, rural and urban poor.
- Encourage all countries in the region to be involved in the review within their own governmental system.
- National and sub-regional reports will be integrated into a regional NGO report that will be reviewed at this Symposium. This will ensure a regional perspective on implementation, further actions and initiatives, and new and emerging trends.
- Lobbying Strategies will be identified from the women's groups to make sure that women's voices are heard at the UN ESCAP Meeting.
- Strengthening existing NGO networks and build in new ones to empower the women of the Asia-Pacific Region.
What to Expect at the Symposium
|August 31||Registration, Opening Ceremony, Keynote Speech and Sub-Regional Reports|
|September 1||Workshops on the BPFA and Emerging Issues|
|September 2||Workshops of Emerging and On-going Issues in the Region|
|September 3||Plenary Session to dissuss the issues emerging from the workshops and the adoption of the resolutions and recommendations of the symposium followed by cultural activities.|
|September 4||Complimentary Tours and Excursions|
All interested parties may fill-out and send the Registration and Accommodation Reservation Form to the Asia Pacific Regional NGO Symposium Secretariat:
6th Floor, Kasetsart University Golden Jubilee and Information Center
50 Phaholyothin Road, Chatuchak Bangkok 10900, Thailand
Tel: (662) 9428500 ext. 4625
Fax: (662) 9428617